Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I preached this Homily for my course on "Preaching the Bible" at Church Divinity School of the Pacific on July 17, 2003.  The homily was preached for the HyCAS Class.


Homily using the Proper’s for Advent 4 – for Preaching the Bible


For some of us the story of Mary and her song – the magnifcat- is so familiar that we perhaps glaze over or have an emotional reaction to the story without really hearing it.   When trying to look at the story with fresh eyes a couple of things strike me about Mary’s story.   Why did Mary run in haste to see her Cousin Elizabeth?  Did she want to confirm what the angel told her a few verses earlier  - that Elizabeth was pregnant?  Or did she want to share her news with the one person on earth who she thought would understand her.  Or as a friend suggested perhaps she ran to help Elizabeth with her pregnancy.  We don’t get the motivation for the trip.  We just get the result.  The result is wonderful but the why still tugs at me.  The other thing that interests me is Mary’s Song – the magnificat and what can it say to us.  When we really look at Mary’s song what does it say to us today?  What does it say to us about God?

First – why did Mary travel?  After all it was not a safe thing to do in Mary’s time for a young women to travel in the hill country alone.  It was a dangerous place. Just like today it can be dangerous to travel to some areas alone.  But that did not matter to Mary.  She went in haste to her cousin Elizabeth.   When Mary said yes to the angel she agreed to do a dangerous thing.  She agreed to become pregnant as an unwed mother.  An act that would have easily been interpreted as adultery.  An act that could result in her death.

I think that any of these or other motives that we might think of for Mary’s trip would be reasonable for us to ponder.  As startling as it may be for some to question Mary’s motives I think it is ok to consider the motive that she wanted to see this other miracle – the pregnancy of her older barren cousin or that she wanted to share.  I think we all have similar times in our lives when we have had such motivations.  I think it is human nature to want proof.  At least it is for those of us who have been trained in the scientific method. Richard Hamm, an author on church renewal,  said that “We who are late-moderns were raised to dissect everything.  It is a powerful approach to observation and discovery.  It got us to the moon and back.  However it must be admitted in the end that most things are more than the sum of their parts.” I would want to see the proof.  I would want to see Elizabeth as pregnant.  But what was Mary’s motive?[1]

Perhaps Mary really did just want to share her experience of the Angel Gabriel with the only other person who would truly understand.  The person that the angel told was also experiencing the miracle of an unexpected pregnancy – Elizabeth.  The sheer joy of the encounter with the Angel would certainly have been enough to get Mary to hasten through the hill country to see her cousin.

I’m sure we have all had experiences that have made us want to run and tell the one person, or persons,  who would truly under stand.   I know that I have had experiences that I have wanted to share as soon as they happened.   I needed to share them with someone who would understand.  I  wanted to reach out as soon as possible because the experience was a wonderful one.  For example when – on my second time with our Diocesan Discernment weekend the commission on ministry and standing committee recommended that I go forward as a postulant for Holy orders I could not wait to tell the people who would understand.  I could not wait to tell my priest, spiritual director and family.  So in haste I did that very modern thing and instead of traveling down from the hills I quickly texted the message to all the people who where waiting for the answer.  How very different that was than 3 years earlier when the message to me was “we hear a call to the priest hood but our Diocese is not ready to have a Gay man go forward in the process.  The timing is not right.”  In that case I waited until I got home to tell most people.  I only immediately told my closest family.  But when the news is wonderful – when we are visited – perhaps unaware – by an angel we want to share the good news.  We go in haste, perhaps oblivius to the risks, to share our news.

So perhaps a clue as to why Mary went to Elizabeth is in the result.  The wonderful song that is recorded in response to her visit with Elizabeth and the leaping of the embryonic John the Baptist.  For even if the motivation for the visit was to confirm the words of the Angel Gabriel the result of the visit was wonderful.  Mary’s reaction to her cousin’s greeting of , "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.”  Gives us some clue.  Mary sings.  She sings about the works of God and how they are opposite of what society would expect.  Mary’s song – the Magnificat is a song sung out of joy and wonder. 

It is also a song of reversal.  It is a radical song that goes against the power structure.  It is a song that tries to describe an indescribable God.  And how can we describe God?  In the case of the magnificat God is described through reversals.  Mary describes a God who does the unexpected.  A God who values the poor over the rich.  A God who values the lowley and the hungry.  A God who is revolutionary.  A God who entrusts a single young, powerless women to bear His son. 

Walter Breuggeman said “[Mary] sings about “the hungry,” the ones cut out of the food chain and denied access to the world’s great granaries. Mary knew what Micah knew, what Israel always knew, and what the church knows in Advent. The weak and vulnerable will be “lifted up.” The poetry and the song invite us to move out beyond the world given us by “the hard men,” and into a new, different world. We may, in anticipation, already act in and for that new age…. Folk around Mary can hope and sing.” (http://sojo.net/magazine/2009/12/getting-ready-unexpected)
Now I have to admit that my response to God’s call has not been very much like Mary.  It takes me a little while to both recognize that God is speaking to me and to respond.  And even when I do respond I’m afraid I have been a little like some of the prophets in the Old Testament.  My responses have been reasons why God certainly could not be calling me..  I don’t speak well…I’m gay….I’m not perfect enough.  But God persisted and so here I am.  I wish I could say that when I first heard God’s call I responded with Be it unto me according to thy will.  But it was not.  The good news is that I believe that our individual responses to a call do not lessen the impact that Mary’s response can have on our future responses. 
As I see it Mary can be a role model for our ministries.  It really does not matter why we are here.  Whether we got to this place through a dramatic invitation from an Angel – perhaps named Gabriel – or that we got here after years of hearing a nagging voice nudging us to say yes to our call to ministry – whatever that call may entail.  What matters is that we are here.  We are here and I bet all of us have a song in our hearts.  – Even when we are struggling on what to preach about on a given Sunday or in this class! – Mary invites us to sing.  To see that God’s reign is different.  It is a reign of peace and love where there is war and hatred.  A kingdom where the hungry are fed and the lowly are lifted up. 
Our invitation its to sing.  To sing our magnificats to God and to the world.  To sing the unexpected song in the unexpected place.  It really doesn’t matter if it is Advent or Christmas or any other time of the year. When we say yes to God we too will hasten to visit with those who will understand.  But more we will be over flowing with songs to share with the world.  Songs of reversal. We are invited to sing songs and to join in God’s activities to bring God’s unexpected reign of love and peace to our world.

Resources used:

Breuer, Sarah Dylan. Dylan's Lectionary Blog. 12 20, 2006. http://www.sarahlaughed.net/lectionary/2006/12/fourth_sunday_o.html (accessed 6 26, 2012).


Brueggemann, Walter. Sojourners. 12 2009. http://sojo.net/magazine/2009/12/getting-ready-unexpected (accessed 6 26, 2012).

Hamm, Richard L. ,  Recreating the Church – Leadership for the Post Modern Age, 78 St. Louis, MO Chalice Press, 2007

International Bible Society. Holy Bible New International Version . Grand Rapid, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1973.

Luther Seminary. Preaching this Week. 12 20, 2009. http://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?lect_date=12/20/2009 (accessed 6 27, 2012).

The Society of Biblical Literature. Harper's Bible Commentary. Edited by James L Mays. San Francisco, CA: Harper & Row, 1988.



[1] Hamm, Richard L. , 2007 Recreating the Church – Leadership for the Post Modern Age, 78 St. Louis, MO Chalice Press
 

No comments:

Post a Comment