Sunday, May 15, 2016

Do you have your crash helmet?


Sermon for Pentecost Sunday 

(RCL Year C)
2016

Acts 2:1-21
Romans 8:14-17
Psalm 104:25-35, 37
John 14:8-17, (25-27)

Philip said to Jesus, "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, `Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you."

["I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid."]

Today is a wonderful festival in the church.  A festival that commemorates the gift of the Holy Spirit in our lives.  It is also a Sunday that I would love to rearrange the order of our lessons and start with the Gospel and end with the Reading from the Acts of the Apostles And then perhaps Romans.  

 The Gospel reading today from John is part of what is referred to as the “farewell Discourse”.  It takes place in the Gospel just before Jesus is betrayed and arrested.  In it Jesus is telling the disciples that he is going away.  And we have Phillip wonderfully still not getting it.  After all this time Philip want Jesus to “show us the father.”  Philip still does not get it.  And as we struggle with who is God we probably have similar thoughts, questions and requests running through our thoughts as well.

How many of us wonder where God is in various situations.  In this crazy world filled with people worrying about what bathroom someone uses – and insisting that a transgendered person use the bathroom of the sex on their birth certificate is insane.  What are we going to do insist that people start carrying around their birth certificates and show them to the bathroom police before they are allowed to enter?  Don’t we have more pressing things to worry about?  How about ending homelessness and hunger?  What about taking care of our veterans? We do well to ask where God is in these situations. 

So in response to Philips request Jesus tries again to explain that he and the Father are one and there is more.  That while Jesus is leaving them to go back to the Father in his place he is sending an advocate.  The companion.  The faithful spirit of God.  That member of the Holy Trinity that hovered over the waters at the time of creation.  She is coming to be with the disciples after Jesus is gone.  She is coming to be with us!

And that is where we pick up with our reading form the Acts of the Apostles.  After Jesus’ resurrection the disciples seem to spend much of their time locked away in fear.  They have occasionally left the locked room to go fishing.  Or to try and return to their previous lives but they still have not gotten out to do what Jesus asked them to do.  They are not out making disciples and baptizing people.  They are afraid that they are going to be next in line for the Romans to kill. 

And suddenly – while they are locked away the Holy Spirit enters into the room and enters into them.  I love some of the iconography of this feast that depicts each of the disciples with a flame dancing on their heads.  And that same Holy Spirit that descended on Jesus at his Baptism drives them out of the locked room.  Just a she drove Jesus out into the wilderness after his baptism.  They were driven out and started speaking of Jesus in many tongues so that people from different lands could understand.

This festival of Pentecost that we celebrate as the coming of the Holy Spirit is also a Jewish Festival.  It is one of three important times when Jews gather and give thanks.  It is the festival of first fruits.  It is a time when many people would be gathered in Jerusalem to give thanks for the first fruits.  All of these people are in town so the Roman authorities would have been on edge.  So it would be a dangerous time to start preaching about someone who only 50 days earlier had been crucified.

But that is exactly what happens.  The Holy Spirit picks a time when the streets are packed with pilgrims to drive the Disciples out of their locked room.  And to make sure that every one can understand their message they speak in many tongues.  It is such a spectacle that some people think that they are drunk!  And perhaps they are – drunk on the Holy Sprit of God who is opening their hearts and minds to the knowledge of God’s dream of Love and Peace. 

It is then that Peter tries to explain what is happening and quotes from the prophet Joel.  Lets listen to part of the quote from the prophet Joel.
`In the last days it will be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams.
Even upon my slaves, both men and women,
in those days I will pour out my Spirit;
and they shall prophesy.

The gift of the Holy Spirit includes something scary.  It is the gift of Prophesy as well. Peter has realized that this gift of the Holy Spirit includes the gift of prophesy.  A command to tell truth to power.  A call to stand up to the bullies of the world that would make second, third or even fourth class citizens of people who are not in power.  We see it all over the world.  In our election season candidates belittle their competitors.  They drive their rhetoric to extremes to supposedly draw people into their camps.  It is crazy and this year seems to be about the craziest political season I have witnessed in my lifetime.

But we are called to act differently.  We are called to show God’s love to everyone.  All of us are filled with the Holy Spirit.  Young and old, men and women.  Slaves and free. People like us and people not like us.  We are all given the gift of the Holy Spirit at our baptisms.  And when we receive that gift we are called to get out of our locked rooms and to work to bring God’s dream to fruition.  A dream of a creation where love prevails and where we are good stewards of the environment – this fragile earth our island home.

We always try to tame this festival.  I have seen churches that decorate with red balloons and churches that read either the gospel reading or the reading from Acts in many languages.  We even have been known to call it the churches birthday.  But I will tell you something.  The Holy Spirit will not be tamed.  And I can tell you from personal experience that she does not take no for an answer.  She will pursue each and everyone of us to do the work we are called to do.  She certainly has been pursuing me for many years.

Today is also the liturgical anniversary of me celebrating my first Mass as a priest.  I was ordained on the eve of Pentecost last year.  The end of one journey – the journey towards ordination and the beginning of another journey.  At my ordination Dr. Susanna Singer – my advisor from seminary – preached a sermon about the Holy Spirit.  In her sermon she reminded us that it is at our own peril that we invite the Holy Spirit into our lives.

In her sermon Dr. Singer said: “I think the novelist and poet Annie Dillard got it right when she said:

    On the whole, I do not find Christians sufficiently sensible of conditions. Does anyone have the foggiest idea what sort of power we so blithely invoke? The churches are children playing on the floor with their chemistry sets, mixing up a batch of TNT to kill a Sunday morning. It is madness to wear ladies’ straw hats and velvet hats to church; we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews. For the sleeping god may wake someday and take offense, or the waking god may draw us out to where we can never return.”

When we accept the gift of the Holy Spirit – which is given to all of us at our baptisms we should also be given crash helmets.  Because the spirit of truth, the advocate will not rest until God’s dream comes to fruition.  She will continue to call us out to teach, feed, and love all of God’s creation.  She will draw us out of our churches to be prophets against anything that separates creation from the Love of God.

So don’t take this festival of the Holy Spirit lightly.  The Spirit of creation is nothing if not persistent.  She will call you out of your locked room.  No matter how many times to shut and lock the door she will be with you. Driving you out of the locked room.  Driving each and every person to use their God given gifts to usher in God’s Dream.  She will drive each and every one of us out.  Out into the world to bring God’s dream of Love and Peace to our hurting and hurt filled world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment