Sunday, May 8, 2016

Why We Come to Church


Sermon for Easter 7C-RCL 2016



Jesus prayed for his disciples, and then he said. "I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
"Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."

Today is the last Sunday of Easter.  On Thursday the church remembered the Ascension.  That feast where Jesus stops walking with the disciples on the post resurrection journey and goes back to the Father.  Next week we will remember the gift that Jesus promised his disciples would be with us after he left – the Holy Spirit the feast of Pentecost – so remember wear red next Sunday!

This Gospel reading feels a bit out of place for the last Sunday of Easter.  It takes place in John’s gospel not as part of the post crucifixion – post resurrection Jesus but it – like the gospel lesson last week – is part of what is called the farewell discourse.  These are the last words Jesus says before walking across the Kidron Valley with his disciples to the Garden of Olives to be arrested.  This takes place at the end of the last supper. After Jesus has told his disciples – again – that he is going to die. 

And here we have the disciples overhearing Jesus pray.  He is not going off to pray – like we hear in so many of the gospels – but he is praying for the disciples to hear.  It is a prayer that would be imprinted onto their hearts considering that it comes just before the arrest.  And Jesus is not praying for his safety.  No he prays for the disciples.  It is like a mother’s prayer for the safety of her children.

And it is even more remarkable than that.  Jesus is praying for us!  Did you hear that?   Let me repeat it. Jesus said “"I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one.”  Jesus is praying for all of us.  This is not just some story from 2000 plus years ago where we have to work to try and find a place to enter.  NO!  We are in this story explicitly because Jesus prays specifically for us!

That is why we are here.  Because someone loved each of us enough to tell us about God’s love.   Someone you know or something someone did is why we are all here.  We are all descendants of the knowledge of the disciples.  We are here because someone loves us.

That is why I came to the church.  I came because someone showed that Love that does not ask for anything in return.  I come because of a neighbor we had growing up.  He was a retired Episcopal Priest and would stop by the house on Sundays after church and after mid-week services to see how everything was going.  I also played with his grandkids.  

He stopped to chat – and see if everything was OK probably because we were also taking care of my cousins so there where nine kids living in a 3 bedroom one bath house.  He had a large family so he knew what it was like.  Today we would probably call it a welfare check!  Something about him made me want to – at the age of 8 or so – attend the church he attended.  He never asked about taking us to church that I remember.  He just stopped by out of love. 

Once I got to church I found others who shared this strange love – a love that doesn’t care about who I was.  A love that came from the matriarch of the church – who people said did not like children but who nonetheless took me under her wing.

Why are you here?  Is it because someone invited to St. Matthew’s?  Is it because you were dragged to church as a child – and even after the rebellious years you came back?  Or perhaps you are here because a parent dragged you out of bed on this fine Sunday morning to attend church.  No matter which group you belong to hopefully Jesus’ prayer for you will be imprinted on your heart for your whole life – a prayer that says you are loved.  Loved like a parent loves. 

When we are doing church right – and hopefully that is the majority of time – we are doing it with this prayer of Jesus imprinted on our hearts.  We are here to show the world that Jesus is still praying for all of us.  That Jesus and God love us as children of God – not as servants but as children.

It is hard to see this at times.  Especially with the heated rhetoric that has dominated our news during this primary season.  We hear candidates for president who would demonize people and build walls to keep people out.  When we hear candidates demean each other and point out any character fault as if it was a fatal flaw.  It is hard when the buildings here get broken into week after week.  It is in these moments that we have trouble seeing any love in this world.  It is in these moments that we have trouble practicing love towards those who seem unlovable. 

It is at moments when the world and our lives seem unlovable that we need to remember this Gospel story.  This gospel story took place at the very time that Jesus should be praying for his own safety.  This gospel story happens when a prayer to love one another is crazy.  Jesus is about to walk into a trap.  A trap that he helped set up by his ministry of Love and respect.  A ministry that talked about the kingdom of God being like a crazy shepherd who goes after the one missing and lost sheep.  A kingdom that is like a crazy housekeeper who – having lost a coin cleans the house until she finds it and then throws a party that costs more that the coin is worth. 

It is at the moment before his arrest that Jesus prays for us.  Prays that we would be able to love one another like he loves us.  That we will be like the crazy house keeper and throw a party because we found the lost coin.

When we are in a bad place we need to remember that Jesus – as he was nearing his final time walking this earth in human form – prayed for our safety.  He not only prayed for the safety of his beloved disciples 2000 plus years ago but Jesus continues to pray for our safety too.

The promise of the resurrection is that Jesus kept his promise of Love.  The promise of resurrection is that the prayer continues.  Even when we least expect or deserve it.  Jesus is praying that we will get it.  That we will see the love in this world.  And that we – as heirs of the disciples will continue to spread that love in the face of a world that all to frequently just does not get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment